Binning Memorial Wood is part of the historic 300-acre Binning Wood in East Lothian.
It was originally planted in 1707 by the 6th Earl of Haddington. The majority was felled to help the war effort between 1942-45, with much of the timber being used to make the airframes for Mosquito fighter-bombers.
It was replanted after the war and at just 60 years old is still relatively young. However, the 10-acre beech stand selected for the Memorial Wood is already showing signs of developing a magnificent cathedral of tall stems and arching green crowns.
The original wood stood for 235 years, so the Memorial ground lies in an already well-established setting of real beauty and tranquility that will be maintained by discrete and sensitive woodland management.
When the Memorial space is full it is intended that the land will revert to natural woodland and will be placed under long-term protection and preservation.
Binning Wood’s long history means it is a fitting final resting place for those who wish to continue their responsibility to the earth’s conservation after their passing.